Honoring Those Who Have Served Our Country
The Blue Star Memorial Program honors service men and women of the United States. It began in 1944 with the planting of 8,000 Dogwood trees by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs as a living memorial to the veterans of World War II. The Blue Star emblem was chosen because it became an icon during the war, appearing on flags, banners and in the windows of churches, businesses and especially the homes of those who had family members away, serving in the armed forces.
In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs adopted the program and began a Blue Star Highway program, which now reaches across thousands of miles around the Continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii. Originally, a large metal Blue Star Memorial Highway marker was placed at appropriate locations along highways. Memorial markers and by-way markers were later added to the program, and used in locations such as national cemeteries, parks, veterans’ facilities and gardens. The program was eventually expanded to include all men and women who had served or were serving in the armed services of the United States.
To honor the men and women of our community who have served or are serving in the armed services, the Great Falls Garden Club placed a Blue Star Memorial at The Village Centre. Surrounded by flowers and a nearby bench, it offers a lovely, contemplative site for anyone wishing to stop a while and honor the memories and the service of thousands of men and women in every branch of the military. It also serves as a stirring, visible reminder to the thousands of Great Falls residents who visit the Village Centre throughout the year.
The Memorial and flower bed is maintained throughout the year by the members of the Great Falls Garden Club.Share this: